Goan and Portuguese cultures are strongly tied historically, this Goan coconut cookies recipe (receita de bolinhas de coco) shows the great fusion of both cuisines.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||25 min|
|Ready In||40 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
2 cups of grated coconut1 1/2 cups of semolina flour1 1/2 cups of sugarA pinch of salt2 tablespoons of butter2 eggs10 pods of cardamom, powdered3 tablespoons of maida flour1 teaspoon of baking powder Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a saucepan over medium heat, make a sugar syrup by heating the sugar in 1/2 a cup of water.
- Add the semolina flour and shredded coconut to the sugar syrup and mix it well.
- Now add the butter and keep stirring it.
- Once it has been stirred well and it has a smooth and even consistency, turn off the heat.
- Now add the eggs into the mixture and mix well.
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods. Use a rolling pin to grind them into a powder and add to the mixture.
- Mix in the maida flour and baking powder as well.
- Knead the mixture into a dough until it is smooth and has an even consistency.
- Shape the dough into golf ball sized shapes.
- Flatten the balls with a knife and make three lines on both sides.
- Place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes at 355 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook until the tops of the cookies are browned.
- Once done remove from the oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
There are no comments for this recipe.