Portuguese Shrimp Rissois (Turnovers) Recipe
- In heavy sauce pan on medium heat melt butter. Add the flour and stir until it dissolves into the butter. Add milk, salt pepper & bouillion cube. Stir well and cook while constantly stirring on med heat until it thickens like a pudding.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Add 1 tbsp of white sauce to beaten yolk to temper, then add the egg mixture into sauce. *This is optional to create a thicker, yellowish sauce but not necessary fi your sauce is thick.
- Taste the white sauce & add more salt or pepper if needed. Set aside to cool completely. (The filling should be very thick not runny)
- Cook the onions w/ olive oil on med heat until translucent. Add chick bouillon cube & shrimp.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes until shrimp is pink. Add lemon juice, paprika, and parsley and let let cool.
- Chop shrimp into small pieces and stir into the white sauce. Season the filling with more salt & pepper to taste if needed.
- Let the shrimp filling mixture cool completely, or overnight in refrigerator.
- In heavy non stick pan, place water, lemon peel, salt & butter on med heat until butter melts and the water starts to boil. Add the flour & continually stir with a sturdy spoon until a ball of dough forms. (This takes muscle power)
- You’ll notice the bottom of the pan starts to form a crust. Keep stirring until all of flour is absorbed into the ball of dough.
- (The batter should feel and look like bread dough). Let it cool.
- Once both the dough and filling have completely cooled or overnight in the refrigerator, you are ready to roll out dough on floured surface.
Preparing the Turnovers:
- This dough is called “massa tenra” because it is a very tender dough which must be handed gently.
- Gently roll the dough to 1/8 inch thick with floured rolling pin.
- Cut the dough into round 4-5 inch circles using a cookie cutter or a floured glass.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the filing into center of dough rounds. Fold the dough over forming a moon shape.
- Carefully pinch edges together and don’t let filling escape out of the sides.
- Place them apart from each other on a large parchment lined cookie sheet.
Prepare for frying:
- Beat 3 eggs with a couple tablespoons of water in large bowl. Spread a large amount (2-3 cups) of fine plain bread crumbs on a cookie sheet.
- Use one hand dry, one hand wet method by dipping each shrimp cake into egg wash and then into the bread crumbs. Shake off excess crumbs.
- Place them back onto parchment lined cookie sheets for storing in refrigerator until ready to fry.
- Fry 6 rissois at a time in good deep fryer at med – high heat about 375 degrees until they turn very golden brown. I recommend using a stainless steel fryer rather than a plastic one since it retains heat better.
- You’ll need to keep turning them over and saturate them with the hot oil to cook evenly.
- Cut one open to make sure the filling and the dough is cooked through.
- Place them on paper towels to drain any grease.
You Might Also Like These