Azorean Beans (Feijoada) Recipe
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Feb 18, 2018
5 out of 5 with 4 ratings
2 lbs of pork loin2 lbs of kilo dry beans (red or white)2 onions4 garlic cloves1 tablespoon of vinegarPaprika (to taste)6 tablespoons of Portuguese olive oil2 chouriço sausages1 chicken stock cube1 tablespoon of tomato paste1 tablespoon of butterSalt and pepper (to taste)
- If using fresh beans, soak overnight in 2-3 cups of water with the 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- The next day, in a saucepan, cook the beans in the same water on medium heat along with one unsliced onion.
- Once the beans are cooked, place them along with the cooked onion in a bowl. Reserve the cooking water and set it aside as well.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, saute the pork loin (sliced and cubed), in a little olive oil and set it aside once it has browned.
- Finely slice the other onion and saute it in the frying pan with the tablespoon of butter along with the garlic, until golden brown.
- Add the paprika (to taste), tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Place the meat back in the pan and add the sliced chourico sausages, stiring well. Cook until done, about 15 minutes on medium to high heat, adding a little water to the beans to avoid sticking.
- Add the beans and onion that were set aside and a little more water if needed, as well as the chicken stock cube and stir it well.
- Cook until the beans take on the flavor of the meat and the sauce is thick.
- Once it is done, pour into a large bowl and serve while hot.
You Might Also Like These