Portuguese Sweet Rolls (Pão de Deus) Recipe
Posted in: BreadsWed, Feb 21, 2018
4 out of 5 with 49 ratings
Views: 54070 - Comments 0
4 and ½ cups of flour2 medium eggs1/2 cup of unsalted butter1 teaspoon of lemon zest1/2 cup of sugar2 tablespoons of instant dry yeast1/2 cup of warm water1/4 cup of warm milk1 pinch of saltTopping1/2 cup of grated coconut1/2 cup of sugar1 teaspoon of vanilla extract1 teaspoon of flour2 medium eggs1 yolk1 tablespoon of waterPowdered sugar (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- Place the flour in a dough mixer bowl, add the yeast, lemon zest, sugar, butter, salt and eggs.
- Add the milk and water and beat until everything is well mixed.
- Put the dough on the counter and knead for about 8 minutes.
- Form a ball and put in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, shape them into balls and arrange them in a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the grated coconut, sugar, flour, vanilla extract and eggs, mix with a wooden spoon and set aside.
- Dissolve the 1 egg yolk in a tablespoon of water and brush the buns with the egg wash.
- Add the grated coconut mix over the buns (if necessary make a cross for the topping to adhere better.
- Bake on a preheated oven at 200°C or 390°F for about 20 minutes.
- Once cool, sprinkle them with powdered sugar.
Recipe & Photo Credit: annieskitchen.pt *