Portuguese Grilled Sardines Recipe
Posted in: Seafood RecipesSat, Oct 17, 2015
4 out of 5 with 26 ratings
2 lbs fresh sardines, scaled and rinsed2 cups tomatoes, peeled seeded and diced (about 1 pound)3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil1⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted and coarsely chopped1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped2 tablespoons red onions, minced1 tablespoon garlic, minced1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice1 teaspoon sea salt1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil1 teaspoon sea salt1⁄2 teaspoon pepper1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice1 lemon, slicedSome lettuce Leafs4 large potatoes, boiled, peeled and halved4 tomatoes, sliced * Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Lay the sardines on a clean kitchen towel, and remove any excess moisture from them. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Preheat a grill or broiler to medium high, and make sure the grates are VERY clean (to prevent the fish from sticking).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup olive oil, olives, parsley, basil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, mix well, then set aside at room temp until you are ready to serve.
- Place the sardines on a rimmed baking sheet, then drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil, turning to coat completely and season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill grates well, then place the sardines directly on the grates.
- Cook undisturbed, until the skin is crispy and slightly charred (2-3 minutes), at which point they will release easily from the grill. Turn them over, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- While the fish are cooking, brush the lemon slices and tomato slices with some of the remaining olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on the grill with the fish, and cook until they get char marks, about 2 minutes
- Place the sardines on a serving platter over some lettuce leafs, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Serve immediately, with the grilled lemon, tomatoes, potatoes, and the tomato-olive vinaigrette spooned over the top.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Unknown
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!