Azorean Flat Bread Recipe
*Makes 2 Breads*
- Place the corn flour and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- Pour about one half of the boiling water over the corn flour and stir it well.
- Add the remaining hot water as you continue to stir.
- Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mix in the all purpose flour and 1/3 cup water.
- Knead the dough for about 5 to 10 minutes, making sure all the flour is incorporated.
- The dough should be a little lumpy, soft, and not very elastic.
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts and form them into ball shapes.
- Dust one ball with flour and and then gently flatten it to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Make sure the flattened dough is not larger than the pan it will be cooked in.
- Place the flattened dough carefully in a cast iron skillet (recommended).
- Cook on medium/low heat for about 20 minutes until the bottom is golden brown.
- When it is golden, flip to cook the other side.
- Repeat the process with the second piece of dough.
- Once done, place the breads on the serving platter and serve while hot.
You Might Also Like These