How to make Portuguese beef stew.
1⁄4 cup olive oil1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut into small pieces1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper1 large onion, sliced2 green peppers, cut into thin strips (optional)6 garlic cloves, minced6 tablespoons tomato paste(35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with their juiceWater (to taste)1 bay leaf1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes1 carrot chopped3 potatos, peeled and cubed1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leavesGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- In a Dutch oven or heavy skillet heat the olive oil over high heat.
- Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper.
- Saute the beef, in batches if necessary so that the pan is not crowded, until well-browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and green peppers, carrot to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, water, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Return the beef to the pan and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially covered and let the beef cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and sweet potato and cook until they are easily pierced through with a fork (about 45 minutes)
- Add the parsley. Serve immediately.
Please Leave a Comment
Recipe was perfect, but I chose to kick it up by adding 1 lb of linguica cut to bit size piece's and 2 cups of beef broth and a Portuguese roll on the side with butter. Thank you for a great meal 🤙
4 Months ago, Wednesday, March 9, 2022
Very tasty recipe, next time I will cut the carrots smaller to expedite cooking. Made some simple white rice to soak up all that delicious sauce and it was perfect. Adding this recipe to my family keeper pile. Thanks for sharing.
5 Months ago, Monday, February 14, 2022
This recipe is so delicious! I didn’t have sweet potatoes so I just added a pinch of sugar for sweetness and more of the potatoes I had on hand. It came out Hearty and cozy.
10 Months ago, Thursday, September 16, 2021