Portuguese Beef Stew Recipe
- In a Dutch oven or heavy skillet heat the olive oil over high heat.
- Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper.
- Saute the beef, in batches if necessary so that the pan is not crowded, until well-browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and green peppers, carrot to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, water, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Return the beef to the pan and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially covered and let the beef cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and sweet potato and cook until they are easily pierced through with a fork (about 45 minutes)
- Add the parsley. Serve immediately.
You Might Also Like These