Portuguese Beef Stew Recipe
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Oct 19, 2015
3 out of 5 with 60 ratings
1⁄4 cup olive oil1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut into small pieces1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper1 large onion, sliced2 green peppers, cut into thin strips (optional)6 garlic cloves, minced6 tablespoons tomato paste(35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed with your hands, with their juice1 1⁄2 cups water1 bay leaf1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes1 carrot chopped3 potatos, peeled and cubed1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- In a Dutch oven or heavy skillet heat the olive oil over high heat.
- Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper.
- Saute the beef, in batches if necessary so that the pan is not crowded, until well-browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and green peppers, carrot to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, water, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Return the beef to the pan and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, partially covered and let the beef cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and sweet potato and cook until they are easily pierced through with a fork (about 45 minutes)
- Add the parsley. Serve immediately.
You Might Also Like These