Portuguese Grilled Horse Mackerel (Carapau) Recipe
Posted in: Fish / Seafood
Oct 25, 2015
5 out of 5 with 2 ratings
6 fresh carapau (horse mackerel)SaltOlive oil1 lemon (optional)Parsley (optional)
- Rinse the carapau under cool water to remove any loose scales and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place fish in a tray before seasoning.
- Sprinkle each side of fish with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover and set aside while you get the grill ready.
- Clean and oil the cooking grate.
- Build a hot fire for grilling using wood or charcoal, wait until the fire has died down to red hot coals before cooking over them.
- Lay the carapau (mackerel) on the oiled grill grate and cook for 4-10 minutes each side, depending on how big the fish are.
- When the mackerel are fully cooked, they will be firm and the meat inside will be opaque.
- Squeeze lemon juice on top and sprinkle with parsley.