Portuguese Potato Bread Recipe
Posted in: Breads / Rolls
Apr 30, 2018
4 out of 5 with 5 ratings
¾ lb of potatoes1 and 1/4 teaspoon of active dry yeast3 cups of flour1 teaspoon of salt3/4 cup of warm water
Peel the potatoes, cut them into pieces and cook them in water.
- Make a puree out of the potatoes and make sure it doesn't have lumps.
- In a small bowl, add the warm water, 1 teaspoon of sugar, the yeast and stir it and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl put the flour and make a hole in the middle.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the water with the yeast and stir, add the remaining flour gradually until the dough gets thick.
- Cover with a cloth and let it stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the potato puree, salt and knead.
- Add the rest of the water gradually until the dough is very soft.
- Put the dough on a floured surface and knead for about ten minutes until the dough is very smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a container and cover with a cooking cloth or plastic film, until it doubles in volume.
- Knead a little more and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a tray lined with parchment paper, cover it with a kitchen cloth and let it stand till it raises some more.
- Sprinkle with flour and shape it.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C or 420°F for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 200°C or 400°F and bake for another 50 minutes or until golden brown.