If you like cod, you will love this Portuguese baked cod with mayonnaise and mashed potatoes recipe (receita de bacalhau no forno com maionese).
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||30 min|
|Ready In||50 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
4 cod pieces (1 per person)Milk (to taste)1 bay leaf1 large onion3 cloves of garlic1 cup of olive oil½ cup of mayonnaiseMashed potatoes1 egg yolk Get Portuguese ingredients
- Cook the cod in the milk and put aside.
- Cut the onions into slices, chop the garlic and add to the olive oil with the bay leaf, cook until the onion begins to brown.
- Add to the onion about 5 tablespoons milk from baking the cod and season with salt and pepper.
- When boiling, boil for 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Preheated the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- Put some of the onion mixture on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place the baked cod pieces on top of the onion mixture.
- Place the rest of the onion on top of the cod pieces and top it off with a thin layer of mayonnaise.
- Place the mashed potatoes on one side of the baking dish and brush with the egg yolk.
- Bake until gratinated, about 30 minutes.
I am about to make this wonderful looking dish. However it does say to preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. But it doesn't say how long to cook in the oven? Also, it says "milk to taste" when cooking the Cod. How much milk, as I see you add about 5 tbs to onion mixture!
6 months ago, Saturday, May 13, 2023
Can you suggest how many potatoes and size, for the mashed potatoes? Also, what size baking dish do you suggest? I too am Irish and love cooking your recipes!!!
6 months ago, Monday, May 8, 2023
You might also like:
How to make pan roasted chestnuts, a delectable treat, especially popular during the fall and winter seasons.
The malassada song by the Portuguese kids. Eating right has never been more difficult, especially during these quarantine days! Here's an anthem we wrote for all of us trying to eat right...
The Island of São Jorge in the Azores, is home to one of the richest and most elaborate cheeses on Earth, São Jorge cheese.