Portuguese Fresh Cheese Recipe
Get Portuguese ingredients & more
US cup measurements are used on this site.
(You can get the cheese molds from most Portuguese supermarkets or you can even buy them online.)
- Warm the cow’s or goat’s milk on the stove, but don’t boil it.
- Crush the rennet tablets, then place it in a cup with a little cold water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the rennet tablets and salt together and then pour the warm milk on top and mix well.
- Let it sit for a few minutes, you will see that the whey will start to separate from the cheese, so you can now start spooning the cheese into the cheese molds. Fill the molds as much as you can, while letting the liquid drain out of the mold. For the rest of the day keep draining out the liquid by tilting the mold or just using a spoon.
- Enjoy your homemade fresh cheese.
Note: (This can last in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days.)