Portuguese Fresh Cheese Recipe
Posted in: Breakfast / Brunch
Jun 2, 2018
3 out of 5 with 115 ratings
1 teaspoon of salt4 cups of milk (you can use whole cow or goat milk)2 rennet tablets (buy these using the link below)2 molds
Get Portuguese groceries & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
(You can get the cheese molds from most Portuguese supermarkets or you can even buy them online.)
- Warm the cow’s or goat’s milk on the stove, but don’t boil it.
- Crush the rennet tablets, then place it in a cup with a little cold water for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the rennet tablets and salt together and then pour the warm milk on top and mix well.
- Let it sit for 45 minutes, so you can now start spooning the cheese into the cheese molds with a slotted spoon.
- Devide into the molds evenly, while letting the liquid drain out of the mold.
- For the rest of the day keep draining out the liquid by tilting the mold or just using a spoon.
- Enjoy your homemade fresh cheese.
Note: (This can last in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 days.)