Portuguese Fennel Soup Recipe
Posted in: SoupsTue, Jul 24, 2018
4 out of 5 with 8 ratings
Views: 17403 - Comments 0
1 whole fennel, bulb and greens, chopped to bite size pieces1 yellow onion1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced1, 6 ounce can of tomato sauce1 tablespoon of olive oil1 tomato, chopped1 to 2 carrots, chopped1 to 2 potatoes, cubed1, 14 ounce can of dark kidney beans, drainedSalt (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a large pot, cover the fennel, onion, and garlic with water and cook on medium high heat until the fennel is tender.
- After the first half-hour, taste the fennel leaves (the fennel greens should not be tough when you chew them, if they are, cook it a little longer.
- Depending on the amount of time it took to cook the fennel you may or may not want to add more water to the pot, it just depends on whether you want a thick heartier version or a lighter broth-like version.
- After the fennel has cooked, reduce it to a simmer and add the tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and one chopped tomato.
- Also, add salt to taste, add the chopped carrots next and cook until they are tender.
- Once the carrots are cooked, add the cubed potatoesand cook until they are tender.
- Lastly, add the can of drained dark kidney beans and let them heat for just a few minutes.
Recipe & Photo Credit: easyportugueserecipes.com