The delicious and popular Porto Francesinha recipe is credited to a man called Daniel da Silva in the early fifties who was a Portuguese emigrant in France.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||55 min|
|Ready In||1 h 10 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
Sauce1 teaspoon of olive oil1 tablespoon of lard1 small onion, thinly sliced2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped1 bay leaf1 can of diced tomatoes1 and 3/4 cups of beef stock½ cup of ruby port wine2 cups of beer1 piri-piri pepper, seedless2 tablespoons of Worcester sauceSalt (to taste)Black pepper (to taste)Francesinha2 slices of soft bread1 thin beef steak, tenderized1 pork sausage (to taste), cut in half and sliced lengthwise1 linguiça sausage, cut in half and sliced lengthwise2 slices of ham5 slices of cheese1 egg Get Portuguese ingredients
- Place a medium saucepan over low to medium heat, once the pan is hot, add the lard, olive oil, garlic and bay leaf.
- Let it cook for a minute before adding the onion, let it simmer for about 8 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
- Add the canned tomatoes and the beef stock, bring it to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients, the port wine, beer, piri-piri and Worcestershire sauce, cook for another 10 minutes.
- With a hand mixer, blend everything until smooth and let the the sauce simmer for 30 minutes (the texture should be similar to a gravy, but slightly more liquidy).
- If necessary, add some corn starch to thicken to your taste (make sure to dissolve it in cold water before adding to the mixture).
- Let it cook until it reaches your preferred texture, season it with salt and black pepper and set it aside.
- Place a frying pan over high heat and fry the sausages in their own fat, then use the remaining fat to fry the steak.
- Finally, lightly fry the ham slices.
- Slightly toast the bread slices.
- On a plate, place one toasted slice of bread, then a slice of cheese, ham, steak, the sausages, and the final bread slice.
- Fry the egg, place it on top of the sandwich, cover it with the other cheese slices, leaving the egg-yolk visible.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then pour it over the top of the sandwich (to taste).
- The hot sauce will melt the cheese.
- Serve it with a side of homemade fries.
What type of cheese would be the most accurate to use? I’ve read multiple recipes for Fracesinhas and they all just say “cheese” I’d love to know what type of cheese is authentic and what type I can use as a substitute here in the U.S. Thank you!
3 months ago, Friday, September 8, 2023
I think it Sounds Magnificent❗️ I have to try it, to be a better judge …
7 months ago, Friday, April 21, 2023
You might also like:
Bacalhau is cod fish which has been dried and salted to preserve it. It is said that there is a different dish using bacalhau for every day of the year in Portuguese cooking.
Add these vinegars to your pantry, they make many types of vinegar, but each type is better with certain foods.
It only takes 30 minutes to make these 3 ingredient coconut cupcakes which are a treat for anytime of the day, enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.