Portuguese Tripe (Dobrada) Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Aug 22, 2018
5 out of 5 with 1 ratings
1.5 lbs of tripe1 cup of white beans1/4 cup of butter1 teaspoon of cumin1/4 lb of bacon3 carrots, sliced1 veal shank3 onions1/2 lb of chouriço1 bay leaf1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped1 cup of riceSalt and black pepper (to taste)
- Cut the cleaned tripe into small pieces and simmer in a saucepan with salted water on low heat until tender, about 2:30 minutes to 3 hours.
- Bring the beans to a boil with some water in a saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and allow them to stand in the hot water for one hour.
- In a separate saucepan, simmer the chopped chourico and bacon in a little water on medium to low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the sliced carrots and one sliced onion.
- Simmer until they are tender, drain and keep the broth.
- Fry the remaining chopped onions in the butter and when well browned add the meats, beans, vegetables, finely chopped parsley, black pepper and salt (to taste), bay leaf, the cumin and one pint of broth.
- Cook for another hour adding a little more broth if necessary.
- Once done, serve with boiled rice.
You Might Also Like These