Portuguese Caramelized Almond Tart Recipe
Posted in: Cake RecipesWed, Nov 4, 2015
4 out of 5 with 30 ratings
Crust1 teaspoon vanilla¼ cup sugar1 egg½ teaspoon salt1 ½ cups flour½ cup butter, meltedAlmond topping1¼ cups sugar½ cup butter1 teaspoon vanilla4 tablespoons milk2 cups blanched, slivered almondsPinch of salt * Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla and sugar until uniform.
- Add melted butter and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Whisk flour into wet mixture until dough is formed.
- Press into greased 10” tart pan with your fingers, evenly distributing dough within the pan.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, until lightly golden at edges.
- Meanwhile, work on the almond topping. In a medium-sized saucepan, bring sugar, butter, vanilla and milk to a boil.
- Add the slivered almonds and salt and cook on high heat for 5 minutes, until a pale caramel color is achieved.
- Pour almond mixture on top of crust and spread into an even layer.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Put tart on sheet pan (some bubbling over of almond may occur) and bake for another 15–20 minutes. Tart is ready when deep golden brown color is visible.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to finish cooling.
- Serve with creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream and plenty of black coffee.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!