This delicious recipe for a Azorean stewed beef casserole (carne estufada dos Açores) is absolutely amazing and flavorful.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||2 h 10 min|
|Ready In||2 h 15 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Very Easy|
1 kg of rump steak1 onion1 bay leaf4 cloves of garlic1 glass of white wine1 tablespoon of tomato paste1 tablespoon of vinegarChopped carrots (to taste), optionalSalt and pepper (to taste)Olive oil (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- Combine the salt, pepper, crushed garlic, vinegar, wine and bay leaf.
- In a bowl, add the mixture to the meat, make sure it's all over it, place some plastic wrap over the bowl and put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, in a saucepan, brown the meat in the olive oil.
- Add the marinade, tomato paste, onion and carrots.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours or until tender.
- Turn the meat several times whilst cooking and add more wine if necessary.
- Serve sliced, with the sauce from the pan.
Curious on the history of this recipe and what makes it Azorean vs. a mainland Portuguese dish?
2 months ago, Wednesday, July 12, 2023