Portuguese Transmontana Bean Stew Recipe
- The night before cooking, coat the ribs with salt, wash the pig parts in cold water, salt them, and store in fridge overnight to absorb the salt.
- The next day, cook the pig parts in a large saucepan with 2 cups of water until they are soft and tender and set aside one cup of the broth.
- Now in a large saucepan cook the onions, garlic cloves, and bay leaf in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ribs, pork belly, paprika and let them cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the 1 cup of the broth you set aside earlier from cooking the pig parts and let the ribs cook for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the meats, chopped cabbage, carrots, crushed tomatoes, and butter.
- Stir gently and let them cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and blood sausage, and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Check if the meats are tender and done, let it simmer on low heat for a few more minutes.
- Once done, season with salt and pepper (to taste) and serve while hot.
You Might Also Like These