Portuguese Transmontana Bean Stew Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Nov 27, 2018
0 out of 5 with ratings
2 lbs of baby back ribs2 lbs of chouriço sausage1 lb of blood sausage “morcella” (This is optional)1 lb of pork belly1 cabbage, chopped2 carrots, sliced2 onions, minced4 garlic cloves, chopped1 tablespoon of butter1/4 cup of olive oil2 bay leaves1 teaspoon of sweet paprika1 teaspoon of cumin powder2 32oz cans of cooked kidney beans1/2 cup of crushed tomatoes2 lbs of pork hocks, knuckles or earsSalt (to taste)Pepper (to taste) Get these ingredients & more
- The night before cooking, coat the ribs with salt, wash the pig parts in cold water, salt them, and store in fridge overnight to absorb the salt.
- The next day, cook the pig parts in a large saucepan with 2 cups of water until they are soft and tender and set aside one cup of the broth.
- Now in a large saucepan cook the onions, garlic cloves, and bay leaf in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ribs, pork belly, paprika and let them cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the 1 cup of the broth you set aside earlier from cooking the pig parts and let the ribs cook for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the meats, chopped cabbage, carrots, crushed tomatoes, and butter.
- Stir gently and let them cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and blood sausage, and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Check if the meats are tender and done, let it simmer on low heat for a few more minutes.
- Once done, season with salt and pepper (to taste) and serve while hot.