Portuguese Flan Recipe
Posted in: Dessert RecipesTue, Nov 10, 2015
4 out of 5 with 33 ratings
- In the flan mold put enough sugar to cover the bottom (more or less 1/2 cup). No water is needed!
- Place the mold directly on the stove over low-heat swirling pan occasionally (no stirring) until sugar melts and turns deep amber.
- Out of the stove, swirl the caramel until it coats bottom and sides of pan. Set aside (the caramel will harden and crack a little, as it gets cold, no worries).
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the whole egg, the milk, the lemon zest and one tablespoon of corn starch.
- Add the Porto wine (optional).
- Pour the mixture in the flan mold and cover with the locking top.
- Put the flan mold inside a big pan with water until halfway up side of the flan mold.
- Cover the pan, bring the water to a boil in the stove over high-heat.
- Reduce to low-heat and let it cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove flan mold from the pan and let it cool completely (best if chilled until cold) before turning over carefully onto plate. Allow the caramel to run over flan and serve.