Portuguese King Cake (Bolo Rei) Recipe
Posted in: Holiday Treats
Nov 11, 2015
3 out of 5 with 16 ratings
1/2 cup candied citrus fruit3 tbsp. raisins1/2 cup each pine nuts and walnuts1/3 cup + 2 tsp. port wine2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast1/3 cup + 2 tsp. milk3 1/2 cups unbleached flour1 1/2 tsp. salt7 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened1/3 cup + 2 tsp. sugarGrated zests of 2 oranges3 eggs, beaten1 dried fava bean or small trinketBolo Rei Topping:1 egg yolk, beaten with1 tsp. water10 candied cherries1 pkg. (12 oz.) medjool datesPowdered sugar, for garnish
- Soak candied fruit, raisins and pine nuts in port wine overnight or until plump.
- In a separate bowl, add the yeast to the milk and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir to dissolve and set aside.
- Mix the flour and salt in large bowl, make a hole in center and pour the dissolved yeast into it.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix everything into a soft dough.
- Cover the bowl with a dish towel and let it stand until “sponge” and slightly risen, about 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter with the sugar and orange zest until light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition and mix until the dough is soft.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead until soft, smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Knead in the dried fruit and pine nuts until evenly distributed.
- Place the dough into a clean bowl and cover with a dish towel.
- Let it rise until doubled in size (at least two hours or overnight).
- Punch down on it, then let rest another 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ring and place it on a buttered baking sheet.
- Wrap a dried fava bean or a trinket separately in waxpaper and place it into the bottom of the shaped dough.
- Cover the dough again with a dish towel and set aside until doubled in size (about an hour).
- Brush the dough with egg glaze and decorate it with candied fruit and powdered sugar.
- Bake at 180°C of 350°F for 45 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate any leftovers.
You Might Also Like These