Portuguese Cod Patties (Rissois) Recipe
- Cook the cod fillets in water.
- Once cool, remove skin and bones, shred using your fingers and put aside the water that you cooked the cod.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and then the parsley.
- Cook over medium heat until the onion softens.
- Add the shredded cod and then the flour gradually to avoid lumps.
- Add a little of the cod cooking water slowly until soft and season with pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat, add the beaten yolks stiring well and put aside.
- Boil the 2 cups of water with salt to taste, the butter and the lemon peel.
- Add the flour all at ounce and stir well.
- When the dough peels off the bottom, put it on a surface sprinkled with flour, knead it well with your hands.
- Extend the dough well and cut it evenly in about 12 pieces (patties), divide the filling between them by placing it on one side of each patty.
- Fold the empty side over the filling and seal it by pressing the edges of both sides together.
- Beat the egg.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Brush each patty with the egg and pass it through the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in very hot oil until golden brown.
You Might Also Like These