This tasty Portuguese chicken soup with poached egg recipe (receita de canja de frango com ovo escalfado) is great for a cold day or if you are feeling a bit under the weather.
|Ready In||1 h|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1/4 chicken including gizzard and heart1 large carrot, cut into cubes1/2 cup of pasta (to taste)4 eggs1 tablespoon of vinegarMint leaves (to taste)Salt (to taste)Slices of Alentejo bread (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a pan with 3 liters of boiling water seasoned with salt, add the chicken, gizzard and heart.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Once it's cooked, remove to a dish and let it cool.
- In the broth from cooking the chicken, add the carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the pasta of choice, stir and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the gizzard and heart into small pieces.
- Remove the chicken skin and bones and shred the meat using your hands.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add the shredded meat, gizzard and heart.
- Stir and remove from the heat before it starts to boil so you don't over cook the pasta.
- In a different pot with boiling water seasonsed with salt, add the vinegar and stir the water in a circular motion with a spoon.
- Crack and add the eggs one by one and let them cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- After the 3 minutes, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and let it drain well.
- Add the soup to the plates and divide the eggs by the plates over half a slice of the Alentejo bread.
- Decorate with mint leaves and serve.
There are no comments for this recipe.
You might also like:
Bacalhau is cod fish which has been dried and salted to preserve it. It is said that there is a different dish using bacalhau for every day of the year in Portuguese cooking.
How to make banana bread with a Madeira wine glaze, banana bread is a delicious and popular baked treat that has gained immense popularity worldwide.
On this step by step video, learn how to make an easy and delicious Portuguese fried fish.