Portuguese Steaks with Madeira Sauce Recipe
Posted in: Beef
Feb 13, 2019
4 out of 5 with 9 ratings
2 sirloin steaks6 ounces of sliced Portobello mushrooms2 cloves of garlic, crushed with peel1 bay leaf1/4 cup of butter1 small onion, chopped1/2 cup of Madeira wine3/4 cup of beef broth1 teaspoon full of flour1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauceSalt (to taste)Pepper (to taste)
Get Portuguese food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- On a small pan, heat half the butter and onion.
- Stir and cook until the onion is golden.
- When sautéed, add the flour and stir very well.
- While stirring, add the broth, the Worcestershire sauce and the Madeira wine.
- As soon as it begins to boil, remove from the heat.
- Strain the sauce through a strainer and put aside.
- Season the meat with a little salt and pepper (to taste).
- In a frying pan, heat the remaining butter, garlic and bay leaf.
- Fry the steaks on both sides, between 1 to 4 minutes on each side, as desired.
- Once the steaks are fried, remove them to a plate with absorbent paper and discard the garlic and bay leaf.
- On the frying pan you fried the steaks on, add the mushrooms and sauté.
- Finally, add the sauce and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce on top and accompanied with fries.