Portuguese Pork & Rice Stew Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Feb 24, 2019
5 out of 5 with 2 ratings
Olive oil (to taste), for frying1 and 1/2 lbs of pork shoulder, cut into small pieces2 chouriço sausages, sliced1 onion, finely chopped1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped2 cloves of garlic, crushed2 teaspoons of sweet paprika1/2 cup of red wine2 bay leaves1 lb of chopped tomatoes4 cups of chicken stock1 cup of risotto rice Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
- Heat a large pan over a high heat, add a little olive oil (to taste) and brown the pork pieces in 2 to 3 batches, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chouriço to the pan, tossing, let it brown for 2 to 3 minutes, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Next, add the onion and red pepper to the pan, turn down heat and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft, add more olive oil if necessary.
- Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another minute.
- Add the red wine and let it simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan, then add the bay leaves, tomatoes and chicken stock.
- At this point add the pork and chouriço to the pan and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the rice and simmer for another 20 to 30 minutes, until rice is cooked.
- Turn off the heat, season with salt and pepper and let it stand for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and some crusty bread and salad greens.