How to make Portuguese style cod with onions, peppers and black olives.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||1 h|
|Ready In||1 h 15 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
12 oz. dried, salted cod OR fresh cod fillets4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and thick-sliced3 eggs, hard-boiled and coarsely chopped1 can large black olives, coarsely chopped2 medium onions, sliced1/2 large red bell pepper, sliced1/2 large green bell pepper, sliced4 cloves garlic, minced1 tbsp hot saucePortuguese olive oil Get Portuguese ingredients
- If you are using dried, salted Portuguese Cod, soak it overnight, changing the water twice.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and reduce heat to medium-high. Add either the soaked Portuguese Cod or the regular fresh Cod fillets. Boil gently for about fifteen minutes. Drain the fish, but save the water it cooked in. Shred the fish into large chunks, removing bones and skin and set aside.
- In the water the Cod cooked in, place the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook till tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat about 3 tablespoons of Portuguese olive oil or any good quality olive oil. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute until vegetables are soft. Mix in 1 tablespoon hot sauce and season with salt to taste. Stir in the cooked codfish and black olives.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Grease a 2 quart baking dish and layer half of the cooked potatoes along the bottom of the dish.
- Spread with half the cod and onion mixture. Sprinkle with half of the chopped eggs. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Repeat layers, finishing with another generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Do you have any recipes for Portuguese soup? My father called it Sopas Caldene. It had kale, cabbage, kidney beans, split pea-based broth, chourico, and a bone-in cut of meat. I can’t recall the seasonings or the cooking process. I often asked him to teach me, but he recently passed without leaving the recipe. Thank you
3 months ago, Wednesday, October 19, 2022
Bake at what temperature?
7 months ago, Friday, June 3, 2022