Portuguese Cod with Onions Recipe
- If you are using dried, salted Portuguese Cod, soak it overnight, changing the water twice.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and reduce heat to medium-high. Add either the soaked Portuguese Cod or the regular fresh Cod fillets. Boil gently for about fifteen minutes. Drain the fish, but save the water it cooked in. Shred the fish into large chunks, removing bones and skin and set aside.
- In the water the Cod cooked in, place the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook till tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat about 3 T. Portuguese olive oil or any good quality olive oil. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute until vegetables are soft. Mix in 1 T. melagueta or hot sauce and season with salt to taste. Stir in the cooked codfish and black olives:
- Grease a 2 quart baking dish and layer half of the cooked potatoes along the bottom of the dish.
- Spread with half the cod and onion mixture. Sprinkle with half of the chopped eggs. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Repeat layers, finishing with another generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Enjoy!
You Might Also Like These