|Preparation time||10 min|
|Cooking Time||25 min|
|Ready In||35 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
Portuguese chouriço kebabs are a popular dish in Portugal, typically made with chouriço sausage, which is a type of smoked pork sausage with a distinctively spicy and slightly sweet flavor. The sausage is cut into small pieces and skewered with vegetables such as peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
To make chouriço kebabs, the skewered ingredients are typically grilled or roasted, and may be brushed with a mixture of olive oil and spices for added flavor. They can be served as a main course or as an appetizer, and are often accompanied by bread or a salad.
Chouriço kebabs are a simple and flavorful dish that can be easily adapted to different tastes and preferences. Some variations may include the addition of other meats or seafood, such as chicken or shrimp, and different types of vegetables. They are often enjoyed as part of traditional Portuguese cuisine, but can also be found in other parts of the world, particularly in areas with significant Portuguese communities.
- Cut the steak and pork into large chunks. Slice the chouriço into 2cm rounds. Cut the onion into eighths (each onion half cut into quarters) and chop the peppers into chunks.
- Take a metal skewer (2 per person) and thread on evenly, the beef, pork, chouriço, onion and peppers. Distribute evenly and alternate each item. Set aside in a dish long enough to hold the meat skewers. Cover and leave in the fridge until needed.
- Meanwhile, prepare your sauce (you can easily vary this to your own taste or what sauce you want to serve). Using six small sauce dishes (three per person), add the ready made piri piri into two of the dishes. In a mixing bowl add some mayonnaise, a squirt each of ketchup and lemon juice and a pinch of cayenne pepper, mix well and place into two other sauce dishes. In another mixing bowl, add some mayonnaise and 1 small crushed clove garlic, mix well and place it into the other two sauce dishes. Cover all six sauce dishes with cling film and place in the fridge until serving.
- When ready to serve heat the grill until hot. Add the skewers to the grill rack and grill until cooked through and the peppers and onion slightly charred. Cook to how you desire but ensure that the pork is cooked through. Turn often whilst grilling.
- Serve 2 skewers on a plate with the 3 dipping sauces. I like to serve also with fries and a simple salad of grated carrot, sliced tomato and onion drizzled with a little lemon juice and exra virgin olive oil.