Portuguese Rice Recipe
Posted in: Side RecipesFri, Nov 13, 2015
4 out of 5 with 38 ratings
Views: 56236 - Comments 8
1⁄4 cup canola oil1 yellow onion, finely chopped3 garlic cloves, minced3 cups long grain white rice, washed and drained4 cups boiling water1 bay leaf2 medium tomatoes, chopped1⁄2 teaspoon salt Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a 4-quart pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir-fry until golden.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly toasted and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the water, bay leaf, tomatoes and salt and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat so that the rice just simmers.
- Cook undisturbed until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand covered without stirring for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, discard the bay leaf, and serve.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Emeril Lagasse, foodnetwork.com
Shirley - 7 Months ago
Love rice, I follow my mother's recipe, the same as above with these additions: chopped red bell pepper, 1 bay leaf, 1 clove. This makes 3 meals for me. I've also used leftovers to stuff bell peppers.
[reply] (+1) (-0)
Thank you for the tips Shirley.
7 Months ago (+0) (-0)
Eileen - 1 Year ago
Hi Eddy my sister in law used make a rice with kale and kidney beans that I loved but I’ve never quite figured how to make??? Do you think anyone would have a recipe like that?? Thanks and thanks for everything you do!🙏🙏
Hi Eileen, I do have a similar one, just add kale to taste: https://portugueserecipes.ca/recipe/1019/26/Portuguese-Bean-Rice-Recipe
1 Year ago